Berlin has a well-earned reputation as home to the some of most hedonistic and decadent sex-positive parties in the world. And among these parties, House of Lunacy shines brightly as one of the best. What makes it so good? The theatrics, the attention to detail, the atmosphere, and the openness.
It takes place in Wilde Renate, which is the perfect home for this style of event. Every floor and every room is utilised with installations, performances, and live art. The performers are always top class, and you can expect to see many twists on boundary-pushing sensuality. For us, the artistic displays are what help to set House of Lunacy apart from similar parties – they are often provocative and conceptual as well as alluring.
The dress code is to be taken seriously – if you do not make an effort, you simply won’t get in. Each edition of the event has a different theme, and you need to create an outfit in accordance with it. There is as much of an emphasis on theatrics as there is on kink, perhaps even more so. The upshot of this policy is that everyone who is there is all-in, and the outfits are a big contributing factor in making it feel like a real party occasion and not just another club night.
This edition marks one full year of House of Lunacy parties, and it’s time to celebrate in style. The organisers invite you to “dress in your best take on the 1920’s – Dirty Cabaret, Decadent Dreamers, Neo takes on Kabarett, Marlene Dietrich, Anita Berber, Sebastian Droste, Otto Dix characters, the Morphium tainted, beautiful artistic souls of the Weimar era. Let their spirits live on through you…” And they had added an important note: “Basic suits and 1920s flapper outfits will not cut it, you have to make a HUGE effort. As this is an ‘easier’ theme, doesn’t mean we won’t be looking for absolute creativity in your outfits. Put a twist on it!” Don’t say you haven’t been warned.
If you’re a LOLA Club Member, you can get on the queue jump list (which is a big bonus as the queue is always MASSIVE). But remember, having a ticket and being on the queue jump list is still no guarantee of entry – you still need to get your outfit right and follow the rules.
It’s worth pointing out that while this is a sex-positive party, it isn’t a sex party. Things will go down, there will be flesh on display, and people will be enjoying each other to the fullest, but that doesn’t mean you have to get involved yourself. You can just be a part of it all in whatever way you are most comfortable. It is essential to remember that consent is paramount, and discrimination or homophobia of any kind will not tolerated. The mission is to create as safe a space as is possible.
The DJ line ups are reliably on point and the music is invariably good. As a party, House of Lunacy has all the bases covered, all that is left is for you to channel your outfit creativity and step into another world.
Words by Jonny Tiernan / Photo by Tina Dubrovsky
Information from the organisers:
Costumes are essential. ENTRY : We are a LGBTQ+ space and we do not tolerate any forms of discrimination or Homophobia.
House of Lunacy has a strict dress code and door policy. Each event is created with a creative theme in mind for guests to explore with their clothes, costumes and bodies.
This is not negotiable and we expect all who jump into this world to join in. This is to enhance everyones experience and to truly create a new adventurous world of love and freedom.
✵ DRESS CODE ✵ This world is only reachable when in costume. Animals real or fantasy, Forest dwellers, divine beings, ocean swimmers, fantastical beasts, flower creatures, deities, fauns, nymphs, fantasy, kinky, naked, club kids, OTT fetish and creative.
COVID ENTRY REQUIREMENTS WILL ADHERE TO THE CURRENT ONES SET IN PLACE BY BERLIN AT THE TIME OF THE EVENT We will update as and when -There are currently no COVID ENTRY GUIDELINES
- Unfortunately nobody can ever guarantee a space is 100% safe, but we are striving for perfection.
- No means no. Never take what doesn’t want to be taken and don’t give what is not wanted.
- Consent is not negotiable. We take this very seriously.
- We DO NOT tolerate any form of discrimination, Racism, homophobia, anti trans or hate speech. Twerfs, swerfs are not welcome.
- Respect. Respect. Respect.
- Anyone who is found to be disobeying these rules, you will be leaving immediately and dealt with accordingly. We will have our care team and Awareness team walking around The House at all times.
- A hand-picked selection of caring and loving souls and party veterans who know how to look out for you and are there to help with whatever the situation.
- Any member of staff (incl bar staff) can be spoken to at any time, they are all connected via walkie talkie to security and the door.
- Never feel embarrassed about asking and talking to them. Take care of one and other and always reach out if needed.